The long-awaited "digital nomad visa" is now available in Spain. The Spanish government has officially approved a new digital nomad visa for remote workers. Read on to find out who is eligible and what your rights are.
The Spanish government has given its formal blessing to a new work visa for digital nomads and other remote workers. The new digital nomad visa was introduced in Spain as part of the Startups Law that was enacted with the intention of attracting talent.
The digital nomad visa will allow remote employees and freelancers to live and work in Spain for up to 3 years at a time.
Who can apply?
According to Spain's Ministry of Inclusion, Social Security and Migration, the new visa is intended for foreigners performing remote work or professional activities using computers or other types of communications.
- Be citizens of countries that are not part of the European Economic Area, formed by the member countries of the European Union plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.
- Be self-employed, have a company or work for a company based outside Spain.
- Not having been convicted of a crime in Spain or any other part of the world during the five years prior to application.
- Have medical coverage through a provider active in the Spanish market.
- Have proof that they are qualified to work in their field, such as a college degree or work experience, for example.
- In addition, applicants must provide evidence of an adequate work history. According to the rules, self-employed workers can demonstrate this by proving a professional relationship with a foreign company for at least three months.
Applicants must prove a minimum monthly income that is at least double the minimum monthly salary in Spain, which in 2023 was increased to 1,260 euros ($1,340), to demonstrate that they have the financial means to support themselves during their stay in Spain. This requirement can be accredited by demonstrating that the applicant earns at least twice the minimum monthly salary in Spain. This comes to approximately 2,520 euros per month ($2,680), which is slightly more than 30,240 euros per year ($32,000).
What are your rights?
Spain is a nation that tends to have a lower cost of living than other regions of Western Europe and is attractive for a number of reasons, including its pleasant climate, geography, culture and appetizing food.
Individuals granted this visa will be able to:
- Bring with them their spouses and immediate family members who are financially dependent on them: To do so, they must prove higher income.
- The first period of validity: The visa for digital nomads in Spain has a duration of 12 months, or the time established in the work contract if it is less than 12 months. But if you apply for a residence authorization, it will be granted for 3 years. Extensions of the residence authorization can be requested for 2 years up to 5 years, and it is at this moment when you can apply for a long term residence, which will be valid for 5 years. To maintain the validity of your residency, you are not allowed to stay outside the country for more than 6 months per year.
- Free movement: Remote workers holding a residence card may move freely within the European Union (EU) even if they are stationed in Spain.
- Benefit from a number of tax advantages: During the first 4 years of their stay in the country, teleworkers earning less than 600,000 euros per year can benefit from a reduced tax rate. This replaces the normal rate of 24%. Even if they work for a foreign company, people who have been in Spain for more than 183 days are considered tax residents in the country.
If you want to qualify for the Spanish digital nomad regime, in addition to meeting the professional qualifications listed above, you will have to demonstrate that you earn enough money to be financially independent. But you must have a remote job with clients or employers outside Spain.
Get an expert evaluation!
If you need help with visa and residence permit processing for digital nomads, request 60 minutes of advice and get useful tips to succeed.Book your consultation now