This article is aimed at foreign investors from outside the European Union (EU), is purely informative and has no binding legal status.

Information for non-EU foreign investors.

If you are a person who has made or plans to make a significant investment in Spain, then you can benefit from the residence regime for investors.

But first, you will need to check whether your investment meets the minimum required amounts shown below:

  • Investment in financial assets:
    1. Public debt (2 million euros).
    2. Shares or holdings in companies with Spanish capital (1 million euros).
    3. Investment funds, closed-end investment funds or venture capital funds incorporated in Spain (?1 million).
    4. Bank deposits in Spanish financial institutions ('1 million).
  • Investment in property (500,000 euros).
  • Investment in a business project in Spain: It is important to discard that in this case there is no minimum amount, rather its impact on the general interest of Spain is assessed according to:
    1. Job creation.
    2. Socio-economic impact on the geographical area where it will be developed.
    3. Relevant contribution to scientific and/or technological innovation.


The visa and authorization granted are valid for work and residence in the entire Spanish territory, including the applicant's family members as long as they are of the age stipulated in the labour regulations.

The estimated deadlines for rapid resolution are: 

  1. For visas: 10 days. 
  2. Authorizations: 20 days.

The Large Companies and Strategic Groups Unit (UGE-CE) is responsible for processing the residence permits provided for in Law 14/2013, of 27 September, on support for entrepreneurs and their internationalisation, which facilitates entry into and stay in Spain for reasons of economic interest for: investors, entrepreneurs, highly qualified professionals, researchers, workers who carry out intra-company movements within the same company or group of companies and family members of the above-mentioned cases. Criteria for the application of the international mobility section of Law 14/2013, of 27 September, on support for entrepreneurs and their internationalisation.

Legal basis

On 27 September 2013, Law 14/2013 on support for entrepreneurs and their internationalisation was approved, introducing a new framework for qualified immigration, favouring the international mobility of highly qualified workers (HQW) and intended to attract talent and foreign investment.

The programme establishes a flexible and specific system for granting visas or residence permits, while preserving the guarantees that are essential to Spain's security, with the following objectives:

  • Fostering an entrepreneurial culture and creating a favourable environment for economic activity.
  • Facilitate the entry of talent and investment in order to promote economic growth and job creation.

To this end, the Law facilitates the entry and residence in Spain, for reasons of economic interest, of the following categories:


Q: Who can apply for the visa and/or investor authorization?

The investor himself or a duly accredited representative attaching the application according to the official model.

Q: Where do I apply for a visa and/or investor authorization?

If you are outside Spain: you will apply for a Residence Visa for investors at the Spanish Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence.

If you are legally in Spain or have an investor's visa: you will apply for an investor's residence permit at the Unidad de Grandes Empresas y Colectivos Estratégicos (UGE-CE).

Q: What documents must be submitted to obtain a visa and/or investor authorization?

  • Updated passport.
  • Public or private health insurance with an entity operating in Spain.
  • Certificate of criminal record.
  • Accreditation of economic means.
  • Accreditation of the realization of the investment. 

It is important to note that the accreditation of the investment made or to be made, may vary depending on the type of investment that is made. For example:

  1. Public Debt: certificate from a financial institution or from the Bando de España.
  2. Unlisted shares: declaration of investment made in the Register of Foreign Investment of the Directorate-General for International Trade and Investment (DGCOMVINER).
  3. Listed shares: financial intermediary certificate registered with the National Securities Market Commission (CNMV) or the Bank of Spain.
  4. Investment funds: Management Company certificate.
  5. Bank deposit: certificate from the financial institution.
  6. Property: Land Registry certificate and purchase deed.
  7. If the purchase of the property has not been formalised: deposit contract formalised in a public deed.
  8. Business project: favourable report issued by DGCOMINVER.

Q:  If the investment is made through a legal entity, can the visa or authorization be requested?

Yes, but only if you have a report prepared by the Directorate General for Trade and Investment (DGCOMINVER) certifying that the company is domiciled in a country that is not considered a tax haven and that you have a majority stake in it (article 63.3 of law 14/13).

Q:  Can the representative who manages the project of general interest benefit from this residence regime?

Yes, in this case you must provide, together with the above documents, a favourable report issued by DGCOMINVER.

Q: How valid is it? 

  • Investors in real estate assets with a deposit contract: visa/authorisation 6 months.
  • Investor's visa: 1 year.
  • Initial authorization for investor: 2 years.
  • Renewal of the authorisation for investors: 5 years. No effective residence is required for renewal.

Q: Can relatives accompany the investor?

Yes, and at any time they may apply, jointly or successively, for authorisation and/or visas for the following categories of family members:

  • Spouse or partner.
  • Children who are minors or adults who are financially dependent on the holder.
  • Dependent relatives in the ascending line.

Links of interest

Visa procedures are not easy, so getting advice can guide you through the whole process to make it easier and less tedious. You may also be interested in the following resources:

Get an expert evaluation!

If you need help with your visa or residence permit (non-lucrative, investment, work or study) in Spain, then book a 60-minute online consulting and get useful tips to achieve success.

Book your consultation now